Local Wisconsin candidates at a glance

The days to make the crucial decision of who to vote for are passing quickly. Nov. 4 is only 19 days away. In order for voters to learn more about the candidates, The Spectator did some research on local candidates and why they are running.

United States House of Representatives

Wisconsin’s Third Congressional District

Democrat Ron Kind (incumbent): has represented the district since 1996. According to his Web site, Kind has focused on a variety of issues. He has worked on workforce development, education, agricultural reform, health care, conservation and an innovation agenda, a program designed to spur economic growth and foster scientific discovery. A press release from Kind says the economic bailout was the right thing to do for Wisconsin families. Kind wants a tax system that will help hardworking families and small businesses. Kind is a member of the House Ways and Means Committee. Kind also is Deputy Whip, co-chair of the New Democrat Coalition and the Congressional Sportsmen Caucus.
To learn more about Kind, visit, http://www.house.gov/kind/index.shtml.

Republican Paul Stark: is running because he is tired of not having a voice in Washington, and feels Kind doesn’t represent interests and values of families. One of the big issues is the bailout and current economic situation. Stark feels that enacting a Fair Tax can be the solution to the problem Americans are facing. A Fair Tax would mean zero corporate income tax and no individual income tax. He feels this type of tax would help the economy grow and take lobbyists out of Washington. He wants to take power from the government and give it back to the people. Stark also says there is a lack of a mature energy policy. Stark wants to drill here now and pay less. This is cheaper for the people who have tightening financial belts. Stark said the government is too involved and that it should be a better steward of our money and resources.
To learn more about Stark, visit, http://www.starkforcongress.com/.

Libertarian Kevin Barrett: feels like he can ride anger over the bailout to set a libertarian record in the congressional vote for the third district. He said Kind voted for the bailout package despite the large percentage of people in the district who didn’t approve it. According to his Web site, Barrett feels we need to bring troops home from Iraq and everywhere else now because of the tremendous amount the war has cost. Putting this money back into the economy would help rebuild it. Barrett feels that the War on Terror is really a war on the economy, and calls it a hoax. He feels he is a good candidate and decided to run because he didn’t really want to. Barrett said only those who don’t want power can really be trusted.
To learn more about Barrett, visit http://www.barrettforcongress.us/.

State Assembly, 68th District

Republican Terry Moulton (incumbent): was elected to the Assembly in 2004. According to his Web site, he is a legislator with experience in health care, small business and the outdoors. Some of his top priorities include getting the tax burden in line with people’s ability to pay, reigning in rising health care costs and helping businesses create good paying jobs. He decided to run for Assembly because he believes state government is taking too much money out of paychecks, has concerns over rising health care costs and wants to create more well-paying jobs. He has created bills to make health care more affordable. He is chairman of the Small Business Committee and vice-chairman of the Health and Health Care Reform Committees.
To learn more about Moulton, visit at http://www.legis.state.wi.us/assembly/asm68/news/index.htm.

Democrat Kristen Dexter: feels that government officials have not rolled up their sleeves and gone to work. Dexter feels Moulton hasn’t represented the people of the Chippewa Valley well. Dexter has priorities in the economy, jobs, health care and education. According to her Web site, Dexter wants to enact a comprehensive health care reform plan for all. Dexter wants to create more opportunities through education, which she feels is the backbone of successful and productive communities. Dexter wants to restore equitable taxes to make Wisconsin more competitive and prosperous. Dexter is committed to the protection of the environment, wants to ensure honest government and renew enthusiasm for change. Dexter says she has a proven track record of making decisions in the interests of children, families and the community.
To learn more about Dexter, visit http://www.dexterforassembly.com/.

State Assembly, 93rd District

Democrat Jeff Smith (incumbent): was elected to Assembly in 2006. According to his Web site, Smith has gained a lot of experience as a business owner and strongly supports local industries. Smith is deeply committed to education and believes in the power of local control. Smith works hard to protect values in the area such as great schools, an independent spirit, involved citizens, a good work ethic and a healthy standard of living. In the State Assembly, Smith is on the Committee of Financial Institutions, Committee on Colleges and Universities and Committee on Rural Affairs. Smith also served as the Town of Brunswick Chairperson from 2001-2007.
To learn more about Smith, visit, http://www.legis.state.wi.us/assembly/asm93/news/.

Republican Darcy Fields: said the political landscape has significantly changed due to the financial crisis. Fields said it is the role of a new generation of nontraditional, highly skilled candidates to step forward. Fields asked that you look at the economic background of the candidates. Look at their skills in economic and budget based problem solving. Look at which candidate has 30 years of tough fiscal management background. Additionally, Fields hopes to control spending, lower taxes on families and seniors and lower health care costs.

– compiled by Luke Anderson