Professors perform on Campus Mall

This year, the University Centers and the Dean of Students Office are sponsoring the university event “Noon Tunes.” This collection of daytime music performances is quite special, since UW-Eau Claire professors have the stage.

The first show of the year premiered Sept. 15 on the Campus Mall with “Duffy and Pace.” This duet included English professor and Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Bernard (Duffy) Duyfhuizen and associate professor of English Joel Pace.

Duffy began with a cover of James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain” as students began milling around the mall en route to their classes. Some students simply walked by, while others slowed down or even laid on the grass to observe.

Junior Mark Hayden was standing and listening to the performance.

“It’s a good thing to check out if you’re just going to class,” Hayden said. “It’s pretty cool to think our professors do other things than teach.”

Freshman Emily Wermund found the faculty performers interesting.

“I thought it was cool,” Wermund said. “They sounded good, but it was weird to hear they were teachers here.”

Wierd or not, Wermund sat down to watch most of the set.

While some students may find it out of the ordinary to see a professor playing in a band, neither professor thought it was strange to be playing for their students.

“We’re happy to do it,” Duyfhuizen said.

Pace added jokingly, “We’re the only professors who can correct papers and perform at the same time.”

In one song, it became apparent that the duet hailed from the English department.

“We set literature to music,” Pace said.

One of the songs, “Orphan Child,” came from Charlotte Bront‰’s novel, Jane Eyre.

Duyfhuizen and Pace have been playing together for nearly five years. This was their second show for “Noon Tunes” and they hope to play next spring in The Cabin. They plan on playing at the Acoustic Café in November as well.

“It’s a nice opportunity to carve out a couple of hours to play,” Duyfhuizen said.

Pace is also a member of Irie Sol, a reggae infused band from the Midwest. Both men seemed excited throughout the show and even while packing up.

“We’re living the liberal arts,” Pace said.

Some familiar faces will be featured on the Sept. 26 performance at noon in the band “Little Willie” as well.

This group includes chemistry professor and department chair Jim Phillips on bass, alumni Levi Felling on drums, current student Elise Wood with vocals, Billy Angel on keyboard and Bill Hamilton on guitar.