Renowned Islamic historian hopes to challenge preconceptions on Iraq

Lyssa Beyer

Ever since the events of Sept. 11, 2001, Iraq has become a hot topic in America. On March 4, UW-Eau Claire will be the center of an understanding to the implications of both countries as renowned Islamic historian Juan Cole speaks on “The Iraq Crisis and the Future of America.”

Cole said he was first contacted for this forum early last summer. He accepted it hoping to give the American people some needed information on the subject.

Cole has written on contemporary Islamic movements and he is considered an expert on Iraq and the role the United States plays in their resistance of war. He is also the president of the Global Americana Institute and author of numerous books and articles focused on the Middle East and Islam.

Dr. Kate Lang, chair of the history department, will host a pre-Forum reception with Cole from 6 to 7 p.m. in The Dulany of Davies Center.

Senior and international student from Kuwait Sage Al-Benali said he thinks no matter what happens in Iraq, it is going to affect the United States.

He said he hopes the forum will address the truth on the subject.

“We always hear about what’s going on in Iraq,” Al-Benali said. “They shouldn’t talk about the ‘shoulds’ or ‘should-nots’ of the U.S. It’s important for students to understand the situation right now, the present and not focus about past decisions.”

Junior and international student from Israel Yaron Fireizen said Iraqi stability depends on many factors. He said he is not sure what will happen to the United States once it pulls out from Iraq.

Al-Benali and Fireizen agreed the most interesting things to talk about is the future of Iraq and what will be the role of the United States in the country once it pulls out.

“Five years from now, will (the United States) still be involved in Iraq?” Fireizen said.

Cole is also interested in looking at issues in a political manner.

“Now it has become a political thing,” Cole said. “I want to explain what I really think is happening in the country.”

He said he will also touch on the Sunni and Shia violence while also explaining the two groups’ differences. Cole said he will also look at what the presidential candidates are saying about this issue and talk about the situation in Iraq.

The Forum will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Schofield Auditorium. Tickets are $7 for the public, $5 for people over 62, including the UW System or Chippewa Valley Technical College faculty and staff, and $3 for students with an I.D. and people under 17. Tickets are available at the Service Center and at the door the day of the event.

Cole’s presentation will be followed by a question-and-answer session and an informal reception in the auditorium.

“I hope that I can provoke some thought and give needed background for students and the American people,” Cole said. “People should come ready to have their preconceptions challenged.”