Non-trads take over Roundtable

Adrian Northrup

The obstacles of non-traditional students served as a frame for much of the discussion at the Chancellor’s Roundtable Monday, with such students composing much of the gallery and voicing their concerns.

“The goal should be that (non-traditional) students get the same benefits and experiences,” Chancellor Brian Levin-Stankevich said after the roundtable in the Presidents Room of Davies.

Discussion topics included outreach to non-traditional students, on-campus parking issues, the possibility of a smoke-free Davies-Schofield courtyard and possibilities for changes in Sodexho’s food services.

A large portion of the discussion surrounding non-traditional students centered on their bid to make Davies 127, a former hair salon, the new location of their lounge. They currently have a lounge in Brewer that they said leaves them on the outskirts of campus using space that is neither completely theirs nor adequate.

“They’re hoping to have a more centrally-located space and become more involved on campus,” said non-traditional student adviser Bonnie Isaacson.

Many non-traditional students commute and need a place to spend time between classes and park their things for the day, Isaacson said. Other ways to alleviate the challenges many non-traditional students face, they said, is to have more night and online classes.

Non-traditional students spoke up through much of the discussion on parking, highlighting the importance of adequate parking for them and other students who generally commute.

The increase in meter rates from 25 cents to 50 cents aimed to encourage more students to buy parking permits, said Andy Soll, vice chancellor of Business and Student Services. Campus studies have shown that during peak parking hours anywhere between 150 to 175 spots are available in the Haas and Water Street lots, Soll said.

Still, the idea of a parking garage came up, which Soll said isn’t financially feasible – permit rates would have to spike by two or three times to pay for it, he said. State money, Soll said, cannot go toward parking solutions, and using segregated fees would tax all students for a service only some use.

Senior Lori Scardino, a 29-year-old student with two daughters who serves as the president of a non-traditional student honors society, said the struggles of non-traditional students in general needs more attention, though other students need not feel attacked.

“Every student here has a sacrifice to make to be here,” Scardino said. “But I think it’s legitimate to say that we have more responsibilities outside of school.”