Career Services aims to prepare students for the future

The Career Services office will host the third-annual Explore Your Possibilities Week Monday through Friday in Davies Center.

The event, designed to help UW-Eau Claire students learn about careers and to receive advice from employers, will include 57 discussion panels and allow current students to discuss career topics with alumni.

“The discussions are designed to teach students how to prepare for job interviews and job searching,” Sue Ayres of Career Services said.

Ayres said some of the discussion panels are designed to teach students about jobs in particular career fields and within particular majors. For example, representatives from the geology department will be on hand during the event to discuss career opportunities within the field of geology. Other departments will also be available during the week to explore other career opportunities, she said.

“Students can get good advice and suggestions from real-world employers and alumni,” Jeanne Skoug, director of Career Services, said.

Senior Tracy Skillman, who will be graduating in December, said she plans on attending some of the week’s events.

“There’s lot of different sessions for how to market yourself,” Skillman said. “It will just be a good experience to talk with employers.”

The event offers panels focusing on job-searching and interviewing techniques that are designed for juniors and seniors. Other panels are designed to help freshmen and sophomores choose a major.

“There’s help with finding majors,” Skillman said, adding that there are sessions designed for older students.

The 50-minute discussion panels will be held in the Badger, Clearwater, Eagle, Presidents and Wisconsin rooms of Davies Center Monday through Wednesday and will begin at 10 and 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m.

On Thursday and Friday, the Career Services office will host an ice cream social from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in its office, Schofield 230.

But there are other reasons students may want to attend the event. According to a Career Services brochure, students who attend the event will receive raffle tickets for every presentation they attend, with prizes ranging from hats and T-shirts to gift certificates. The ultimate prize is a $200 gift certificate for Oakwood Mall.

“We’re very excited,” Skoug said. “There’s information here for everyone.”