Walkers help support cancer research

Chris Kemp

At a place usually filled with the sounds of bouncing basketballs or tennis balls, both tears and laughter could be heard at McPhee Friday night for the third annual Relay For Life.

Hosted by UW-Eau Claire’s Colleges Against Cancer group, Relay for Life is an event to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Teams, usually made up of eight to 15 people, take turns walking or running around a track all night.

Co-organizer Stacy Brager said Colleges Against Cancer began organizing the event at the beginning of the school year and teams began fundraising as early as November. This year, Brager was hoping to bring in $30,000.

“Everyone can say they know someone who has had cancer,” she said. “You know what a big impact your money is making.”

Brager also said that 32 teams signed up to participate in this year’s event, compared to 23 from last year.

“It’s really exciting,” she said. “It makes you happy knowing that this many people put time into coming.”

Sophomore Melissa Lauber, a member of the “Life Savers” team, said she joined along with other members of her nursing class.

“As nursing students we’re always trying to promote cancer awareness and things like that, so it sounded like a good thing to do,” she said. “I’m looking forward to having a good time tonight.”

After opening remarks, cancer survivors celebrated their defeat of the disease in the Survivor’s Lap to kick-off the night-long marathon, which lasted from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday.

Junior Brady Zwiefelhofer, in his first Relay for Life, said he wasn’t worried about getting tired.

“I think we’re going to get tired after awhile, but what teenager hasn’t pulled an all-nighter?” he said. “We really thought that it’s definitely for a good cause and to do something for … everybody.”

The Luminary ceremony took place at 10:30 p.m. Luminaries were purchased for survivors of cancer, people currently battling cancer or in memory of those who did not defeat the disease.

According to the American Cancer Society fact sheet, “The luminaries are kept burning throughout the night to represent the healing power of community and the importance of funding to find a cure.”

“That’s when everyone knows why they are there,” Brager said.

ACS representative Dave Becker said he was awed by the “outpouring of support” Eau Claire students showed participating in and organizing the event.

“I’m very impressed with the amount of support we get from the students and the amount of ambition,” he said.

“They just do a super job putting this on and making it possible to provide the very necessary services to cancer patients in the community.”