Event to highlight diversity

Tuesday will mark UW-Eau Claire’s second annual Diversity Night. The Peer Diversity Educators will be putting on programs in Davies Theatre from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Programs to be presented during the event are Privilege Walk, First Impressions and International Relations. The cost is free and refreshments and child care will be provided.

“People should come to Diversity Night because it will be a good way to look at life from a perspective that you haven’t seen before,” sophomore PDE member Dustin Handrich said. “There’s a lot to learn from the programs being put on.”

The Privilege Walk provides participants with an opportunity to understand the intricacies of social privilege, according to the organization. Participants will read a series of questions and be asked to take steps forward or backward based on their own personal experiences.

The goal of First Impressions is for students to learn that it takes more than one experience to get to know someone and true value of a person comes from what’s inside.

The last activity, International Relations, allows participants to write a summary of a typical day in the life of a business person in different parts of the world.

“The goal is to promote Diversity Night, but at the same time inform campus of who we are and what we do on campus and in the community,” said senior Marissa Klousie, a PDE member.

PDE is a student-run organization through Housing and Residence Life, founded in the spring of 2001, according to its Web site.

Their mission is to promote understanding and respect for people of all abilities, creeds, races, social classes, genders and sexual orientations. Through educational programs and personal testimonies, their goal is to open people’s minds in the hope of eliminating prejudice and discrimination.

The group hopes to educate more people on what PDE is about and to expand its membership base. Hiring for paid positions takes place every semester through Housing and Residence Life, Klousie said.