Hunting tragedy affects university

A handcuffed and shackled Chai Vang appeared before a Sawyer County Circuit judge Tuesday for a five-minute hearing regarding charges of the intentional killing of six hunters in the woods outside of Birchwood.

Relatives of three of the six slain hunters attend UW-Eau Claire. Freshman Carter Crotteau, of Haugen, lost his father, Robert, 42, and his brother, Joseph, 20, in the incident that occurred Nov. 21. Senior Aislinn Koening is the daughter of Allan Laski, 43, who also was killed.

Admissions counselor Heather Kretz’s father, Dennis Drew, 55, of Rice Lake, died the night of Nov. 22 from gun shot injuries.

At Tuesday’s hearing, Vang said he understood the charges against him – six counts of first-degree intentional homicide and two counts of attempted homicide, which carry a possible sentence of life in prison.

According to the criminal complaint filed by the two survivors of the shooting, Vang fired the first shot following a dispute over his use of a tree standing on private property.

The 36-year-old truck driver from St. Paul, Minn., neither smiled nor cried during the hearing. When asked by Judge Norman Yackel whether he had been under the care of a psychiatrist or psychologist within the past six months, Vang paused, allowing his attorney to answer.

“I believe that Mr. Vang is certainly mentally competent … for these preceedings,” the attorney said.

A joint funeral for Robert and Joseph Crotteau was held Saturday in Rice Lake. Freshman Eric Scholz, Carter Crotteau’s friend and football teammate, attended the wake for the father and son.

“It was crazy,” Scholz said. “The line (for the wake) was out of the church doors.”

Scholz said many of Carter and Joseph’s friends attended the service, and donations for the Crotteau family can be dropped off at the front desk of Horan Hall.

He said many members of the football team attended the wake, and the group has banded together to do anything they can to support their teammate.

“We’re one big family, so there were a bunch of us (at the service),” Scholz said.

Freshman Peter Heldstab attended school with both Carter and Joseph in Rice Lake and said the whole community is suffering from the loss of the six hunters.

“Everyone knew each other,” he said. “I don’t know how to explain it. This is stuff that’s supposed to happen in horror movies, not in real life.”

The funeral for Laski also was held Saturday, and both funerals were officiated by Rev. David Oberts.

Scholz said the tragedy is being felt by all Carter’s friends.

“I feel really bad,” he said. “It shouldn’t have to happen to anyone, and especially a member of our (football) family.”

A preliminary hearing for Vang is scheduled for Dec. 29.

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.