Comedian, lyricist to perform at fund-raising event

Politically-charged comedy will fill Schofield Auditorium Saturday night with a performance by satirical singer Dave Lippmann. The event costs $5 with a student ID and $8 for the general public.

Lippmann, best known for parodies against sweatshops, global warming and Wal-Mart, was invited to perform by Eau Claire’s newest community radio station, 96.3 WHYS FM. The event was organized to help raise money for the station, which hopes to be on air early next year.

“The guy’s supposed to be very entertaining,” said Will Fantle, a WHYS board of directors member. “I think it’s going to be quite interesting, politically.”

He said the station is aiming to raise between $500 and $1,000. The money will be used for broadcasting equipment and studio space.

UW-Eau Claire’s Progressive Student Association also is sponsoring the event.

Junior Andrew Werthmann said PSA got involved with WHYS because many of the group’s members also are working at the station. He added PSA supports stations that do not rely on corporate funding to operate.

“The more voices you get that are actually from the people and not just products of big corporations … the better,” Werthmann said.

He said the station will play an important role on campus, as well as in the Eau Claire community. Drew Kaiser, funding and outreach coordinator for WHYS, said PSA and Students for a Sensible Drug Policy will have radio programs at the station.

Werthmann said it is important for students to help support the station and encourages his peers to attend the event. Lippmann will bring an unusual perspective to how students view politics, he said.

Lippmann has performed in front of large audiences throughout the country, including last week’s show for 16,000 people in Fort Benning, Ga. His performance includes an appearance by George Shrub, an alter-ego singing CIA agent.

He was chosen in part because of his act in Fort Benning, where he protested the School of the Americas that trains Latin Americans in military procedures, Kaiser said. He said students not only will laugh at the show, but they also will learn something.

“Students can expect a funny, yet informative, show,” he said.

In addition to Lippmann, folk musician Walter Craft will perform at the benefit, an act Kaiser said he is looking forward to.

He said students who attend should expect to see a left-leaning perspective on political issues.

Kaiser said the people involved with WHYS tend to be Democrats, but debate from all political opinions will be encouraged, as the station will strive for diverse discussion.

“Students are generally hungry for new and interesting things,” he said. “Corporate media doesn’t really give you new things. It’s more cookie-cutter.”