Cheney rallies invited crowd

Nicole Robinson

Nearly a month ago, Vice President Dick Cheney made an appearance in Eau Claire at Choice Products, 3421 Truax Court, speaking to a crowd of invite-only supporters.

On Friday, Cheney was scheduled for another appearance at 9:05 a.m. at the Republican Headquarters, 2201 Brackett Ave., but from outside, the headquarters seemed quiet, with three school buses blocking the entrance.

Behind it, however, a large white tent temporarily housed the vice president and around 200 invited supporters as he gave a 7-minute speech about the importance of keeping President George W. Bush in office.

“This is an extraordinary, important election,” Cheney said. “Over 15 campaigns that I’ve been involved in, I have never seen one where I felt the consequences were as great for the nation as they are on Tuesday.”

The supporters, many within the 25 to 70 age bracket, cheered for Cheney the moment he stepped on stage, their applause escalating until a crescendo of “four more years” silenced their hands.

The invited volunteers needed to have previously worked on the main telephone tree supporting Bush and Cheney, said Don Brill, an 82-year-old Eau Claire resident. The process involved either calling to encourage Eau Claire residents to vote for Republican candidates, walking door-to-door or both.

Before each supporter lay a sheet of paper that provided instructions on calling and encouraging voters to support Bush. Cell phones were given to each supporter as they entered the tent.

The “Get Out the Vote” script provided callers with three possible voter types, which were social conservative, fiscal conservative and generic. A separate reasoning for each type was printed directly underneath the sheet.

Joseph Dunkle, a Memorial High School junior, said he has been volunteering for about a month, calling around 30 people an hour for about five hours each time.

“When Nov. 2 comes, I want to see the president win,” Dunkle said. “I want to see him in the office for four more years, and I want to see a Republican in the office the next four years.”

Cheney’s speech also emphasized that Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., would not be a “tough and aggressive commander-in-chief” in the same manner as Bush.

“Talking tough during the course of a 90-minute televised debate cannot compensate for a 20-year record of weakness,” Cheney said.

About 25 protesters stood across the street from the headquarters with pro-Kerry and anti-Bush signs and a 20-foot inflatable cow, receiving honks of appreciation from some drivers on Hastings Way.

“People need to see that there is support for Kerry, a lot of support,” said Donna Douglas, a Menominee resident. “I think Bush has screwed up tremendously. It’s time to pass on the responsibility.”

Republican state Senator Dale Schultz said the rally’s effort is imperative to helping Bush claim Wisconsin on Tuesday.

“Today is the beginning of the end,” Schultz said. “What you saw here today was 200 or 300 people gathered to begin the process of making a million phone calls in Wisconsin. This could have a huge potential impact.”

As Cheney wrapped up his speech, he urged the volunteers to get voters to the polls.

“Get folks out, get’em to the polls, get’em to vote, get their friends and neighbors to the polls,” Cheney said. “There’s no reason in the world why Wisconsin shouldn’t be in the Bush-Cheney column. I’m convinced it will be because this look like Bush-Cheney country to me.”