False alarms and Bollinger Lot troubles: What’s happened on campus recently
Police+Blotter

Crispy Crumbs at The Priory 

At around 2:44 p.m. on Tuesday, April 23 an officer was dispatched to The Priory to investigate an activated fire alarm. The Communication Center told the officer that smoke was seen within the first-floor commons hall and the fire department was en route.

Upon arrival, the officer determined the alarm was coming from The Nature Academy and the fire alarm strobe system had also been activated. The fire alarm panel let the officer know smoke was detected from room 203 on the second floor.

The officer traveled to the affected area and smelled burnt food. A baking pan was also observed, lying in the sink that appeared to have charred food remnants. Nothing else of interest was noted by the responding officer. 

Once the fire department arrived, the officer and firefighters conducted a secondary inspection of the building. After nothing was found, the alarm was silenced and reset without issue.

Butt Dial 

At around 12:41 p.m. on Saturday, April 20, an officer was dispatched to Haas Fine Arts Center because of a 911 phone call traced back to the location. They could hear people talking in the background, but an attempt to contact the caller failed.

Upon arrival, the officer searched for the phone number of the caller on CampS; however, the provided phone number was not listed as a UW-Eau Claire student. The officer attempted to call the number again, but it went straight to voicemail.

The caller’s voicemail box was full, so a message could not be sent at that time. A text message was sent as another effort to try to contact the caller. After walking through the building, there were several people auditioning, but no sign of an emergency.

The officer later received a text message from the caller, who apologized saying their phone was in their back pocket. They stated they were okay. 

Open Trunk in the Bollinger Lot 

A little before 9:00 a.m. on Friday, April 19, an officer was conducting active patrols in the Bollinger Field’s activity parking lot. The patrols have become increasingly important, given the several reports of theft within parked cars at this location.

While patrolling, the officer observed the trunk of an unoccupied Ford vehicle was slightly opened with some personal items inside. The officer stopped to further investigate. 

After further inspection, the officer did not locate any signs of tampering or theft inside the vehicle. A records check was performed to see who the car was registered to.

The vehicle was registered to a student and successful phone contact was made with her. She told the officer there was nothing of value inside the trunk and that she felt comfortable that nothing had been stolen without an inspection being performed. 

She could not travel to her car so she asked the officer to close the trunk, which they did before clearing the scene. 

The duration of the investigation was recorded utilizing an issued body-worn camera.

Moris can be reached at [email protected].