Boost in hiring optimistic news for May graduates

Senior mass communications major Heather Rudnicki said she feels better after hearing the new statistics regarding job opportunities for graduates.

A recently released survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers gives new hope to those graduating this spring. Due to a recovering economy, the survey projects hiring of college graduates to increase by 13 percent from last year. This is the best job forecast since the late 1990s.

With a predicted 3.7 percent increase in pay for graduates from seven of 10 employers, those graduating can expect to earn a little more, according to the survey. The largest hiring is going to come from accounting firms, technology companies, investment banks and defense contractors.

Jean Skoug, director of Career Services, said she sees trends at UW-Eau Claire as well.

One trend is that more and more students are coming in earlier to make plans for an internship or to begin looking for job opportunities after graduation, she said.

Students are thinking about their majors early in college and about getting career-related experience in their freshman and sophomore years, she said.

Internships really give students an edge when they apply for a job, Skoug said.

Rudnicki said she completed an internship this past summer. She also has completed six informational interviews throughout her college career.

“I called companies and talked to their public relations department,” she said. “It was good to talk to them to understand more about that career. I also made some contacts and networked a little.”

Some students are even getting two internships while at school, which really helps out future career plans, Skoug said.

Students who get internships come back and get higher GPAs, because they see how what they are learning is going to be used in their careers, she said.

Generally, these students are more satisfied with their jobs after they graduate. They have more options and receive higher salaries, Skoug said.

Another trend this fall on campus is an increase in employers’ listing openings on the Blugold Career Link, she said.

There is higher employer activity and a greater demand for students. Employers like to hire people who have done internships for their company, Skoug said.

Students should look at the Career Link to research internships early, she added.

“My advice to students is to start looking right now,” Skoug said. “We’re the office on campus that can help students with this.”

Rudnicki said she is planning to go to Career Services to get help with her resume and her interviewing skills.

“We can help you update or start your resume (or) research employers, and we have a new tool for students to have practice interviews,” Skoug said. “We really encourage students to come in and use it.”

-The Associated Press contributed to this article