Senate supports ban

Around 20 students and faculty members filled the gallery Monday night in the Tamarack Room in Davies Center to voice their concerns over a resolution brought before Student Senate.

The resolution, which proposed eliminating religious activities to count towards service learning credit, passed by a 17-8 vote with one abstention after numerous viewpoints were voiced during the three-hour meeting.

The decision supports an addition to the service learning guidelines, which now state that religious instruction, religious proselytization, conducting religious services or projects requiring religious belief are not acceptable as service learning experiences.

“We are not trying to say that religious service is wrong,” Senator Matt Wisnefske said. “We are trying to say that religious service can’t count toward service learning.”

The majority of the students in the gallery expressed that the resolution discriminated against religion and that it should count towards service learning credit.

Junior Jordan Spina said that religious activities do a service to the community and even if it is banned, he’ll still perform them even if they don’t count for credit, however, he did not support the ban.

“The church is part of the community,” Spina said. “If I do serve the church, I’m still serving the community.”

Other issues arose such as the resolution limiting options for service learning by removing religion and restricting students’ civil liberties.

“This university is trying to restrict activities for service learning,” Senator Jeremy Ralston said. “They are singling out religion and saying it doesn’t count.”

Many issues, however, were raised supporting the resolution. Service learning is supported by state funds and by not passing the resolution, the idea of state separation from the church would be violated, Senator Justin Greif said.

The idea of promoting a religion at a public university is unlawful, and allowing one religion but not others to pass as service learning also were given as reasons for the resolution’s support.

“By making this change, it means that the university is, in fact, neutral on all religions,” Student Senate President Chad Wade said. “We’re saying you’re not eligible if you are proselytizing a religion.”

See the home page for a story on the Academic Policies Committee’s decision.