Hoping for free theater tickets

Though Student Senate killed a bill that would have given students free tickets to theater performances at its Feb. 23 budget meeting, Senator Josh Pade is looking to resurrect it for next session.

The bill failed 16-13 because senators were not prepared for it, said Pade, a sophomore.

The new bill Pade is looking to introduce next session will include free tickets for theater and music programs.

Pade said he intends to have a more extensive presentation prepared next session. In addition, he said he is looking forward to garnering interest in the bill from newly elected senators.

Pade also said he hopes to get music and theater department faculty to present with him next session.

Pade said that, along with senior Jeremy Pade, his brother, and senior Sina Javaherian, he introduced the original bill after only a week of research and planning.

The annual Organized Activities Budget meeting occurred on two consecutive Mondays, Feb. 16 and 23. An amendment introduced trying to eradicate free tickets for athletic events during the Feb. 16 meeting began Josh Pade’s interest in pursuing free tickets for theater events. The ticket amendment failed.

Josh Pade said he introduced the bill because he felt that offering free tickets solely for athletic events was discriminatory.

“(Students) interested in music and theater should be able to go (to) events for free as well,” he said. “(Theater) is more than just entertainment. It’s also part of the total university experience.”

The free tickets would have cost $30,000 in student segregated fees, or $3 a student, Jeremy Pade said.

Only good can come out of the proposed bill, Josh Pade said. The worst-case scenario, which would see hordes of students crowding theaters, is unlikely, he said.

“Even then, it is a good thing because of the increased interest (in theater and music programs),” he said.

Richard Nimke, assistant professor of music and theatre arts, said he likes the idea of free admission, but is not entirely certain that free tickets would result in increased attendance with students.

Josh Pade agreed.

“As with the free athletics tickets, those that are interested appreciate it more and maybe we can get a few more people involved,” he said.

Senior Sara Danke, a theater education major who has been in numerous plays and musicals on campus, remained skeptical of the idea of free tickets.

Danke doubted that attendance will increase.

“People will go to what they want to see,” she said, “no matter what price it is.”