Bill could force all smoking from dorms

Molly Tumanic

Freshman Ariel Ruhling smokes outside her residence hall.

However, the Murray Hall resident said she supports Rep. Rob Kreibich’s newly proposed legislation to ban smoking in and within 25 feet of all UW System residence halls.

“I would understand (a ban) inside dorms. And if they wanted to ban it outside dorms, it’s totally understandable if it bothers people,” Ruhling said. She said the bill is fine as long as there are benches somewhere for smokers to use.

Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, said in a Feb. 24 press release that there are two main reasons behind the legislation. First, smoking provides a safety hazard in environments such as residence halls. Second, the bill will help the state’s Tobacco Control Board try to curb smoking among 18-24 year olds. These young adults comprise the one age group in which smoking is on the rise.

UW-Eau Claire is a little bit ahead of the curve, said Chuck Major, director of housing and residence life. Housing banned smoking in all Eau Claire dorms beginning in fall semester 2002.

Two schools in the System, UW-Stout and UW-Parkside, allow smoking in their residence halls. Scott Griesbach, director of housing and residence life at Stout, said the university maintains four smoking floors out of the more than 90 floors on campus.

Griesbach said the main reason behind allowing smoking in the dorms is student support.

Griesbach said about 50 percent of students surveyed said they believe students should have the option of smoking in the residence halls.

Major said the smoking ban went into effect at Eau Claire after United Hall Council noticed a trend of more students filling out contracts stating they were non-smokers. Health concerns related to secondhand smoke also were a concern.

The primary way the bill would affect Eau Claire is in its provision to ban smoking outside of residence halls. The bill asks that smokers stay at least 25 feet away from these buildings.

“It’s a problem because there are still a number of students who do smoke (outside),” Major said.

Major did not foresee the bill negatively affecting campus administration or students.

“It won’t be a burden for us or students,” Major said. “We won’t have smoking police out there making sure students are staying 25 feet away.”

While the bill will not be burdensome, Major conceded that if passed, some adjustments that will need to be made, such as locating smokers to other areas on campus.

“I will support (the bill) if it works,” he said.