Students running for city council

When a city official came to deputize election officials in Evan Perrault’s first-year experience course, the 19-year-old freshman was interested in more than just registering voters.

He wanted to be a candidate.

And although Perrault is still relatively new to Eau Claire, he can’t imagine a better way to familiarize himself with the area than by running for City Council.

“The city should help the campus community as the campus community helps the city,” Perrault said. “They should work hand-in-hand.”

Perrault, a political science and broadcast journalism double major, is one of three UW-Eau Claire students running for office in this year’s city council elections. Senior Brandon Buchanan, a political science and economics double major, and junior Darrin Wurz, an advertising major, also are busying themselves in anticipation of the Feb. 17 primary. All three are running without party affiliation.

Of the dozen council candidates, 10 will move on to the April 6 general election and five will be elected to the council. So no matter what, a student will get through the primary, Buchanan said with a smile.

“The big thing is … I’m trying to get students on campus interested in local politics,” he said. “I’m very excited about the primary.”

The College Independents organization is sponsoring Buchanan and Wurz, whereas Perrault is operating a one-man show, even acting as a campaign manager. To qualify for the primary, candidates had to collect between 200 and 400 signatures by Jan. 6 to qualify for candidacy.

“I know these three haven’t taken it lightly, because it’s a commitment,” City Council President Howard White said. “This is work – and lousy pay for work.”

All three student candidates are getting a taste of low-budget, grassroots campaigning, including relying on local media and word-of-mouth – rather than advertising – to get their names out to the public.

“The costs haven’t been too expensive,” Buchanan said, adding that he’s mostly relied on talking and listening to voters. “That’s been very low-budget.”

Running for local office can cost thousands of dollars, said incumbent candidate Terri Stanley, who ran against an Eau Claire student for her first council term six years ago.

The city budget, street maintenance and growth – including how, if at all, to manage it – will be among the hot topics in this year’s election, Stanley said.

Wurz said he is particularly concerned with the issue of university-community relations. Students often are stereotyped because of the actions of a few, he said, for instance when Water Street bar patrons and partygoers damage lawns in that area.

“(Some students) probably feel as though they’re only here for a short amount of time,” Wurz said, “so what do they care?”

All three candidates said they are working to combat student apathy and non-voting on campus.

A strong student turnout may be the student candidates’ only chance to win in the general election, said Geoff Peterson, assistant professor of political science. Because students make up such a large portion of the larger Eau Claire community, they have the ability to make a difference in local politics, he said.

“The reality is that students don’t realize local government impacts them,” Peterson said. “By the time they do realize it, it’s too late.”

Stanley said she’s glad students are running and getting excited about local politics.

“I think the only way to save us from professional politicians is for us to take a turn at it,” Stanley said. “If your mind is open, everyone brings a different perspective, whether you agree with them or you don’t, whether you like them or you don’t.”