Students comment on voter turnout

With the Wisconsin primary coming up on Feb. 17 and the national election in November, it seems everywhere people are living, breathing and speaking politics.

But a comprehensive predilection toward becoming engulfed in the world of politics traditionally has not been a quality of 18- to 24-year-olds, whether they are in college or not.

Between 1972, the first year 18-year-olds could legally vote, and 2000, the voter rate for 18- to 24-year-olds in national elections declined 13 percentage points, according to a report from The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement.

In the 2000 presidential elections, about 42 percent of 18 to 24-year-olds voted, compared to about 70 percent of individuals 25 years and older.

Geoff Peterson, assistant professor of political science, attributes students’ apathetic attitude toward politics to the lack of issues affecting them.

“I was brought up in a household where politics was discussed.”
Pete Andersen
Senior

“(Students) don’t see local, state or national politics as something that affects them,” he said. “The really big policy issues that tend to drive people toward politics, such as unemployment and property taxes, are non-existent for people of that age.”

At a local level, Peterson said the likely reason students do not get involved in politics is that they see Eau Claire as a temporary residence.

Peterson said the Third Ward parking issue is the kind of thing that will get students involved in local politics.

Freshman Dave Speer agreed with Peterson.

“Students don’t care about elementary education,” he said. “Stuff like Third Ward parking will spark students’ interest.”

Third Ward residents have signed a petition requesting a parking ban on the 300 and 400 blocks of Roosevelt Avenue near campus. The Eau Claire City Council will vote on the issue Tuesday.

Senior Pete Andersen said he has been interested in politics for quite some time because of a family tradition that stressed the importance of political rhetoric.

“I was brought up in a household where politics was discussed,” he said. “(Politics) impacts everyone’s lives.”

Junior Becca Hutchinson has a different political atmosphere in her house.

“My parents both vote, but they don’t speak openly about their views,” she said. “It’s pretty much a closed subject.”

Hutchinson said she cares about what is going on politically, but does not feel informed enough to vote.

National organizations like the Youth Vote Coalition and Yourvotematters.org offer a variety of resources for people interested in getting more informed.

Student Senate President Adrian Klenz said Senate’s Intergovernmental Affairs branch, under the direction of junior Randy Winsand, has a Get Out the Vote campaign aimed toward increasing students’ interest in voting.

“A general mood of frustration will draw a lot more people to vote,” he said, “and I think young people will be a part of that.”