Rapid rise in number of pre-pharmacy students enrolling

As far back as her senior year of high school, UW-Eau Claire junior Katie M. Anderson was interested in a pharmacy career.

An article she read said the field was attracting more and more women, and Anderson was interested in doing something in the medical field.

And the pay’s not bad, either.

The median salary for a pharmacist in the Eau Claire area is $82,623, according to Salary.com. The starting salary for pharmacists is about $75,000, said Cheryl Muller, associate professor of chemistry.

It is perhaps a combination of these factors that is responsible for the rapidly increasing popularity of Eau Claire’s pre-pharmacy program, which has 85 students enrolled. A year ago, 66 students were taking the pre-pharmacy track, whereas five years ago the number was less than half that.

“Part of it, I gather, is that students are hearing from their high school guidance counselors that this is a lucrative field to be in,” Muller said of the rapidly increasing numbers. “That’s probably pretty attractive.”

Pharmacy is also a visible and prestigious field, Muller said, which may increase its attractiveness for many students.

But with the increase in popularity comes an increase in competitiveness for entry into pharmacy programs once students complete their prerequisites.

“The issue is that the number of spots to be admitted into pharmacy school is incredibly limited,” Muller said. “Many of (Eau Claire’s pre-pharmacy students) need to change their major because they’re not being accepted into pharmacy schools.”

Most Eau Claire students consider UW-Madison and the University of Minnesota first when filling out pharmacy school applications, Muller said. The acceptance rate at these schools tends to be between 25 and 30 percent, she said.

Anderson has been accepted to Minnesota’s pharmacy school for fall 2004, but knows many of her fellow students are worried about getting in – anywhere.

Madison saw an increase in applications of about 23 percent over fall 2002, said Larry Mindel, an assistant to the dean at the pharmacy school. Of the 360 applicants for fall 2003, 130 gained admittance.

Students admitted to Minnesota’s pharmacy program had an average GPA of 3.59 for 2003, up from 3.43 for the entering class of 2000. The number of applicants has risen steadily for the past three years, up from 305 in 2000.

Anderson had some advice for students entering the lucrative, yet increasingly competitive, field of pharmacy.

“Pay attention in your classes,” she said. “GPA was the number one factor (for admittance). Definitely, definitely join programs.”

Membership in student organizations is crucial, Anderson said, because admissions officials want to see a well-rounded student.

Muller, one of three pre-pharmacy advisers, said they take a realistic position when advising their students.

“We’re trying to sort of … have some tough love, be gentle and realistic,” she said, “(and) urge people to have a plan B.”