Lyall announces retirement from UW System

UW System President Katharine Lyall surprised 26 chancellors Wednesday morning, including Chancellor Donald Mash, when she announced her retirement during a teleconference.

“By Chancellor Mash’s reaction, I feel very confident that no one had any forewarning,” said Vice Chancellor Andy Soll, who was present for the teleconference with Mash. He said Lyall’s retirement had been a well-guarded secret until Wednesday.

A press conference was held at 1 p.m. in Madison, shortly after the teleconference, to make the announcement, Mash said. Mash confirmed Soll’s observation, saying he was indeed surprised.

“She has been an incredible leader … during difficult times.”
Donald Mash
Chancellor

“She has been an incredible leader … during very difficult times,” Mash said.

Although Soll said there has been a lot of speculation about when Lyall might retire, he said the reason for her retirement is clear.

“I think she’s retiring because it’s time to retire,” Soll said. “She is of an age where retirement is not out of focus.”

Lyall, 62, was named president of the System in 1992 and became the first woman ever to serve as its president, according to a System press release.

One of the largest obstacles Lyall faced, Mash said, were terrible budget cuts during a time when expectations of the System continued to be where they were prior to funding shortages. Lyall had to manage the system’s budget reductions while still trying to maintain absolute quality.

“Her experience and her steady hand have really benefited everyone … the UW System and the state,” Mash said. “I’ve often said of Katharine that she has the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job. These jobs are very difficult … she just handles it with grace (and) dignity.”

Although Lyall has received some political criticism in recent years over her own salary and the salaries of chancellors, she still has managed to thrive in her career, Associate Dean of Students Bob Shaw said.

“She’s had a long, successful career,” Shaw said. “You’re going to run into slack in those positions.”

Lyall will stay until her replacement arrives or until Sept. 1 at the latest, according to the press release. In September, she will begin a year’s appointment as a visiting senior scholar at the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in Palo Alto, Calif.

“Retirement in her case … doesn’t mean she’s going to sit in a rocking chair and watch TV,” Mash said.

“She just decided to do something different,” he said. “How she chose this precise time … I don’t know.”

The System Board of Regents ultimately will hire Lyall’s successor. The intention is to not have an interim president, Soll said.

“As far as I’m concerned, she had her priorities straight,” Mash said. “It’s just been a pleasure working with her.”