Fire victims receive support

Eight days after fire severely damaged their Water Street home, six UW-Eau Claire students have relocated and are trying to reestablish normal schedules while dealing with the blaze’s aftermath.

After two nights in a hotel, the seven residents of 621 and 621 1/2 Water St. – one is not a student – have relocated to a rental unit a little farther from campus than their previous residence. No one was injured in the fire.

It hasn’t been easy, junior Brian Hintze said, but the residents are thankful for the help they’ve gotten from the community and the university.

“The toughest thing is getting behind in school,” Hintze said. “In the university level, you can’t just miss days on end.”

The Eau Claire Fire Department is almost finished with its investigation and almost certain the fire began because of a faulty dryer vent, Fire Chief Bruce Fuerbringer said. The fire started in the first floor laundry room and spread to the wall separating 621 and 621 1/2.

“To my knowledge it is not a suspicious fire,” Fuerbringer said.

The fire caused an estimated $75,000 damage to the duplex, owned by Hagen Rentals, a division of University Area Housing.

Representatives of Hagen Rentals were unavailable for comment Friday.

Associate Dean of Students Bob Shaw has met with each of the students at least once, he said. In situations where students are forced from their home because of fire, the university offers students space in the residence halls, Shaw said.

In addition, the UW-Eau Claire Foundation donated $200 to each student to help cover basic expenses like food, Shaw said.

The local American Red Cross has Disaster Action Teams ready to respond to fires and other emergency situations at all times, said Jill Schwebs, executive director of the American Red Cross Chippewa Valley Chapter. The organization’s local branch covers 13 counties.

The teams generally arrive at the scene before the fire trucks leave, Schwebs said, and their first priority is to take care of immediate needs like food and housing. If the displaced residents need counseling, the organization will provide it.

Although he didn’t personally receive any help from the Red Cross, some of the duplex’s other residents got money for food and hotel accommodations from the organization, said 621 resident Shane Kwiatkowski, 21.

While still smoky smelling, some of Kwiatkowski’s clothes are nonetheless wearable, he said. But all of the electronics and furniture in the home were lost.

Hintze said his parents’ homeowners insurance covered what he lost in the fire.

Students who are not covered under their parents’ insurance should seriously consider renter’s insurance, Schwebs said. It is relatively inexpensive, she said, and students may not realize how much their belongings are actually worth until they have to replace them.

Shaw had another piece of advice for students in case of fire; all smoke detectors should have fresh batteries and be in good working order, he said. House parties can be hazardous, he added.

“Add alcohol and smoking materials and the risk goes up,” he said, adding that about 10 years ago an Eau Claire student died in a fire that began because of smoking materials that weren’t extinguished.

Shaw called the residents a “sturdy bunch,” and said they are dealing well with the fire’s aftermath.

“They were particularly cheered by people in the community who called to help,” Shaw said. “We’re just very grateful that no one was hurt and we ask all students to please be careful.”