Harvard graduate to speak on technology’s future

Theoretical physicist and best-selling author Michio Kaku will be examining the ways of the great scientific revelations that have dramatically reshaped the 20th century for Thursday’s Forum Series in Zorn Arena.

His presentation is titled “The World in 2020: Computers, Robots, DNA, Energy and Environment.”

Forum Series
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Date: Thursday
Place: Zorn Arena
Cost: $3 for students and those 17 and under, $5 for those 62 and over and faculty/staff, $7 for the public

The presentation has been rescheduled from today to Thursday, but all tickets are valid.

“He will be addressing the general audience about what the world’s going to be like in the future,” said Beverly Soll, performing arts and special events coordinator.

Kaku graduated from Harvard in 1968 with the highest honors and was No. 1 in his physics class, according to www.mkaku.org.

Kaku has been a professor at the City University of New York for more than 25 years.

He was the co-founder of the string field theory.

According to his Web site, his goal is to help complete Einstein’s dream of a “theory of everything.”

It is a single question, no more than one inch long, that will unify all the fundamental forces in the universe.

“Students who are curious about the future are encouraged to go,” Soll said. “He will help predict what the world will be like.”

Kaku has written nine books, the most recognized ones being “Visions,” “Beyond Einstein” and “Hypervisions.”

Heather Lee, textbook manager at the University Bookstore, said she has read “Beyond Einstein.”

“It was easy to read,” she said, “and I was able to understand the concepts without having any physics, other than in high school.”

Kaku’s books are sold in the University Bookstore, and also will be for sale at the Forum, Lee said.

Lee is looking forward to attending the event to hear what Kaku has to say, she said.

His presentation should be very interesting, she said.

Kirkus Reviews described Kaku as, “a worthy successor to the late Carl Sagan as a spokesman for the potential of science to revolutionize our lives.”

“Kaku takes his research a step further,” Soll said, “and mainstreams it into society.”