Senate looks to fill five vacancies

Aaron Vehling

At Monday’s Student Senate meeting, President Adrian Klenz announced an extended application deadline for the five vacant off-campus positions, which are now due at noon on Friday.

Those who are interested can pick up applications in the Senate office, Davies 132.

In other news, Klenz said Homecoming was a success for the most part, but there were some problems in the Third Ward.
“We will continue our efforts of improving community relations,” he said.

Intergovernmental Affairs chair Randy Winsand echoed these remarks.

“I don’t want anyone to get any hard feelings,” he said.
Winsand said some complaints coming out of the Third Ward were “actual lies” and said “it’s not going to continue.”

On a positive Homecoming note, Klenz said the Adopt-a-Block program was successful. Nine people from Senate, along with other groups, participated in the event cleaning up neighborhoods after the weekend.

Some senators’ clean up efforts were featured on TV news, Klenz said.

This was a good opportunity for Senate to help the community and promote good relations, he said.

An upcoming issue is the resurfacing of Carson Park’s football field, Klenz said.

He recommended that senators, who are holding listening sessions, focus on the issue to find out what students think and want.

Finance Commission director Chad Wade said his organization will be debating what to recommend Senate allocate for the field project.

Wade said he expects to introduce a bill at next week’s Senate meeting.

Junior Lisa Huftel, student life and diversity chair, promoted October as Breast Cancer Awareness and Domestic Violence Awareness month.

She also promoted this week’s “Coming Out Day” activities on campus.

No resolutions or bills were introduced or discussed Monday.

Senate meets at 6 p.m. Mondays in the Tamarack Room of Davies Center. Meetings are open to the public.