First Wisconsin woman dies in Iraq conflict

WAUPUN – A teen-ager has become the first woman soldier from Wisconsin killed during the conflict in Iraq, family members said Tuesday.

Pfc. Rachel Bosveld, 19, was killed Sunday during a mortar attack at a Baghdad police station, said her father, Marvin Bosveld.

She was a member of the 527th Military Police based in Giessen, Germany. She is the fifth soldier from Wisconsin to die in Iraq.

Bosveld said his family was notified of his daughter’s death about 9:30 a.m. Monday.

She joined the Army after graduating from Waupun High School in June 2002. Rachel Bosveld also attended high school in Oshkosh for two years before her family moved to Waupun.

She followed her father and brother, who also served in the military.

“My dad was drafted during Vietnam. I served,” said her brother, Craig Bosveld, of Antigo. “She just felt it was a tradition she wanted to uphold.”

She also joined to get a college education, Marvin Bosveld said.

Rachel Bosveld was injured Sept. 12 when her Humvee blew up, he said. She was treated and returned to duty.

She seemed happy and upbeat in letters she sent to her brother, Craig Bosveld said in a telephone interview.

“She always said she supported her mission,” he said. “She may have complained about the heat. She never, ever complained about what she was doing. She was very proud.”

In a letter he received last week, his sister said she was going on day patrol.

“I work days all week,” Rachel Bosveld wrote. “Chances of living are higher working days, so I guess that’s a plus.”

Craig Bosveld said he received another letter from his sister Monday but did not yet have the heart to open it.

Marvin Bosveld said he and his ex-wife adopted Rachel as a baby. They were foster parents. Rachel came to them as a neglected baby, he said.

He said when Rachel was first shipped out to Baghdad she was eager and wanted to “kick butt.” But, he said her attitude changed after the Humvee incident in which she hurt her shoulder. After that her letters started counting the days until she could return home.

The toughest thing he said will be dealing with the birthday cards for Rachel that will return unopened. She would have been 20 on Nov. 7.