Student assault uncommon

Despite recent incidents of assaults near UW-Stout and the University of Minnesota, Lt. David Sprick of the UW-Eau Claire Police Department says the university does not usually deal with those problems.

The Stoutonia, UW-Stout’s campus newspaper, reported that on Sept. 20 Menomomie police officers were called to investigate a reported assault near campus.

A woman reported that a man entered her room and climbed on top of her.

According to the Associated Press, a similar incident occurred Wednesday when a Minnesota student was abducted at gunpoint and sexually assaulted.

Sprick said outside of a burglary incident last year, he did not recall any similar problems around campus.

Sprick advised students to protect themselves against these sorts of crimes by using common sense.

For example, Sprick said, many students give out the combinations of their dorm rooms, which is not recommended, he said.

ophomore Kara Williams lives on campus and said she feels safe most of the time but realizes the possibility of assault exists.

“Things can happen anytime, anywhere,” she said

For off-camps students, Sprick advises working with landlords to ensure safety.

For example, he said students should insist that all doors in their building lock properly and that motion sensor lights are installed.

Sprick said if students feel uncomfortable about anyone around their residence, they should call the police.

“That’s a wonderful approach,” he said.

According to Wisconsin state statute 943.14, regarding criminal trespass to dwellings, any person who enters another person’s residence without their permission is committing a Class A misdemeanor.

Williams said students should be watching out for each other, because despite having a police force on campus, the large number of students makes it difficult to ensure everyone’s personal safety.

“I think most people should be extra cautious,” she said. “(Students) should be with a trusted friend no matter where they go.”

Sprick also suggests that students keep safety in mind while in the community.

“There’s safety in pairs, in numbers,” he said. “Whether you’re going for a run or coming back from class, anytime.”