Von Haden wins a student district

UW-Eau Claire students have two new faces representing them on the Eau Claire City Council.

Incumbent Toby Biegel defeated incumbent Lynne Young in the race for the District 3 seat. Official totals for the election showed Biegel receiving 1,139 votes and Young receiving 542.

Biegel could not be reached Wednesday for a comment.

Young and Biegel entered the race as incumbents because they each represented separate districts prior to the redistricting of the city last year.

Bob Von Haden defeated Harold E. Davis to win the District 4 seat. Von Haden received 688 votes, while Davis received 561 votes.

Von Haden said he believes the key to his election win was an open dialogue he created between himself and his constituents.

“Probably the biggest factor in my election was just getting out and visiting and talking to people,” he said.

Von Haden added he would be willing to meet and talk with students and Student Senate to discuss issues relating to the university.

“The more I can talk to all people in the district, the more that we will be able to get done,” he said.

Students helped to play a key role in deciding the vote in the wards covering the campus area, Arne Peterson, ward chair for the 24th Ward, said. As of about 5 p.m. Tuesday, Peterson estimated that roughly 130 to 140 of the nearly 160 voters he saw at the polling place in Davies Center were students.

Other students, however, did not make it out to the polls. Senior Jake Heyer said he didn’t vote Tuesday because he didn’t hear an election was being held.

“I didn’t vote because with all the war coverage, I didn’t catch any (news) about an election,” he said.

Heyer said he would have made sure to vote if the election was for offices that he felt were more important than those voted for on Tuesday.