Campus Independents to host Sunday forum

Students need to know that many issues were not brought up in previous political elections because the opinions of independent candidates were not allowed to be heard, said junior Tony Eichberger, a College Independent.

“The independent candidates who are out there are not getting attention,” Eichberger said. “The media won’t cover (their) campaigns.”

“Freedom Forum,” hosted by College Independents
Time: Noon to 6 p.m.
Date: Sunday
Place: Schofield Auditorium

UW-Eau Claire’s College Independents will be holding a forum to discuss the future of independent politics from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday in Schofield Auditorium.

The group hopes to inform students of the options they have in supporting independent and third-party candidates.

As a part of the forum, the group plans to feature two leaders of the independent movement: David Cherry, a black independent from Chicago, and Alan Eisenberg, an Asian independent who ran in the Wisconsin 2002 gubernatorial race.

Eichberger said he thinks Eisenberg will talk about some of the struggles his campaign faced being independent.

He also would like to see more media attention paid to independent candidates. Eichberger said he was upset that independent candidates in the last state gubernatorial race weren’t allowed to participate in the debates.

Junior Jeremy Gragert, a College Independent, said one of the main reasons to get interested in the independent movement is to promote candidates who pay attention to issues.

“Parties don’t seem to give you a reason to vote for them,” he said. “In many cases, it seems like people are forced to vote for the lesser of two evils.”

Gragert added that the goal of the independent movement is to get more competition and access in both voting and elections.

He said he hopes the upcoming forum discussions will help to give definition to the needed goals of the movement.

In addition to speakers discussing independent party politics, there also will be a panel discussion featuring the speakers, as well as Eau Claire students and faculty.

Currently, the group’s core consists of 10 students who attend meetings, Gragert said. In addition to Eau Claire members, the organization also includes high school students from Fall Creek and Eau Claire Memorial.

Gragert said he would like to see students get involved in Sunday’s discussions. Students and other attendees will be able to speak directly with the speakers at a reception in the Dulany Inn of Davies Center following the panel discussion.

“Students can really get involved in this dialogue,” he said. “Student ideas matter.”