Spanish Week in full swing

With spring break approaching, some students may be heading across the border to Mexico. But those who can’t afford a trip south can get their own little taste of Mexico on campus.

This week, Sigma Delta Pi, a Hispanic honor society sorority, will be organizing numerous events for Spanish Week, which features events celebrating Spanish history.

Paul Hoff, Spanish professor and Sigma Delta Pi adviser, said the sorority annually tries to come up with new events to celebrate the culture of Spanish-speaking countries.

“The idea of Spanish Week is to share aspects of the Spanish-speaking world with the Eau Claire community as well as the campus,” Hoff said.

Freshman Amanda Eastwood said she’s looking forward to checking out the week’s events.

“I’m excited to see an emphasis of diversity on our campus,” she said.

The 32nd Annual Spanish Dinner on Sunday in Dulany Inn of Davies Center started the week.

“Each year we celebrate Spanish Week and the dinner is one of our traditions,” Hoff said.

On Monday, the Sigma Delta Pi initiations will be held at 7 p.m. in the Hibbard Penthouse.

The Books and Crafts sale will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday. Sigma Delta Pi will sell books and crafts of Spanish culture on the third floor of Hibbard Hall.

Also on Tuesday, students will be able to observe a presentation entitled “Latin American Hand Crafts” by Roma Hoff at 4 p.m. in the Ojibwa Room in Davies Center.

On Wednesday, “El Camino de Santiago,” the hiking of the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela will take place in the President’s Room in Davies. Seniors Valerie Mumm, Lee Ann Pignet, Sarah Strauss, Mary Kay Maas and Andy Beckstrom will present it.

Ending the week will be a theater performance by the Ocho de Marzo Women’s Theater Group, a women’s activist organization from Managua, Nicaragua.

They will perform “Al Ritmo del Tambor de la Vida.”

“This is very rare to be able to have a Spanish-speaking performance in Eau Claire,” Hoff said. “I believe it’s the second time it’s ever happened in history.”

The group will focus on women’s issues and end with a question-and-answer session to provide an opportunity to learn more about their members and motivation for involvement.

The performance will be at 6 p.m. Thursday in Davies Theater. The performance is free, but donations will be welcomed at the door