Students make dream a reality with company

Check out Third North’s website

One UW-Eau Claire student turned his dream into a successful business in the time it takes most students to earn a bachelor’s degree.

Junior Carson Kipfer established a graphic design company last year called Third North.

Since then, Kipfer’s sole proprietorship has expanded to become a limited liability company with two other partners, seven employees, a variety of clients and a new studio.

“Progress was gradual at the beginning, but things picked up quickly,” Kipfer said.

Kipfer, a graphic design major, acts as president and senior art director. Seniors Justin Rixie, a marketing major, and Justin Kaufenberg, a comprehensive business economics major, act as co-vice presidents.

“We felt that we had all of our bases covered,” Kaufenberg said.

Third North’s services range from print media — including logo design, business cards and signs — to Web design — including site design, original artwork, animation, graphics and Web page analysis. It also does video work that can include commercials, presentations and promotional pieces, Kaufenberg said.

This summer, Third North decided to take it to expand the company and hire the other employees.

“We sat down and made a list of the best and brightest graphic designers, video directors, illustrators and information technology students we knew,” Kaufenberg said.

The company employs six Eau Claire students and one Chippewa Valley Technical College student. The employees work on a contract basis, meaning they work and get paid per project, Kipfer said.

Third North caters predominantly to new companies who need a campaign to “put them on the map,” Kaufenberg said. More established businesses, such as Chippewa Valley Cheese, boast a Third North original logo.

“You can find our logo on all of their products in your local grocery store,” Kaufenberg said.

The 10 employees have been busy since the beginning of the school year. The three partners work roughly 30 hours a week with the company. Recently, they leased a studio space in Banbury Place, 800 Wisconsin St., and had it built to suit the needs of the expanding operation, Kipfer said.

Rixie and Kaufenberg plan to work full time with Third North after graduation in May.

“This really is our dream, and we can’t wait until we are able to work 60 hours or more per week with Third North,” Kaufenberg said.

Kipfer is equally optimistic for the future of the company. “We are shooting for the stars and are aiming to become one of the Midwest’s premier ad agencies.”