Show designed for awareness

“The Little Coochi Snorcher That Could” is among the topics to be performed at MOSAIC’s (Making Our School An Intercultural Community) third annual production of The Vagina Monologues.

The show includes a variety of monologues with different topics written by women of varying cultural backgrounds, sexual preferences and ages.

The Vagina Monologues
Time: 7 p.m.
Date: Today and Wednesday
Place: Schofield Auditorium
Cost: $3

“I like to think the message for TVM is awareness,” co-director Lindsay Krueger said. “It dares to speak about issues that are not usually talked about in public.”

Author Eve Ensler wrote “The Vagina Monologues” with the goal of empowering women and stopping violence against women and girls around the world, MOSAIC president Laura van Zandt said.

“The monologues range from being humorous to serious issues such as oppression, like ‘Under the Burqa,'” she said, “and cover topics from hair to moaning to rape to menstruation.”

The production involves 50 women, including directors, producers, publicity, actresses, dancers, musicians and stage managers, Krueger said.

Three years ago, producer Dusty Huebner read the book by Ensler and wanted to perform it on campus. She gathered some women and performed it in the Towers TV Lounge. The show was a success and moved to the Schofield Auditorium to accommodate a larger audience.

MOSAIC organized the student-run and student-performed event.

Auditions to read or perform were held at the end of last semester, Krueger said.

Organizers planned TVM throughout January, and actresses rehearsed only last week because Ensler wanted each monologue to come from the heart, Krueger said.

“It’s not really acting, just telling another woman’s story,” she said.

TVM is presented in accordance with Women’s Empowerment Week and follows the V-Day College Campaign guidelines, which selects the monologues read.

Changes in production include an additional performance in response to last year’s overflowed Schofield Auditorium. Shows will take place today and Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Schofield Auditorium.

Performers also will trade in last year’s identical T-shirts for a more individual look. They can choose their own mix of red and black clothing, van Zandt said.

Additional changes include assigned seating and a $3 admission. Proceeds benefit American Indian and Canadian First Nations women and Eau Claire’s Bolton Refuge House, van Zandt said.

The audience can expect a large variety of monologues with something for everyone, she said.

“I’m sure some people will be uncomfortable, but it’s worth it to go, especially if people have no idea what it’s about,” van Zandt said. “You just have to watch it to understand.”