Olsen twins rumor revealed as hoax

Forget all of the rumors; teen-age actresses Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are not trying to enroll at UW-Eau Claire.

Now, cue the audience: Ahhhhhhh.

A fake Web site reported last week that the Olsen twins, probably best known for their role as “Michelle” on the late 1980s ABC sitcom “Full House,” had applied for admission at Eau Claire. Other hoax sites stated that the 16-year-old girls, who have one year left of high school, were trying to enroll at other colleges across the nation.

The university released a statement Thursday verifying the Web site as a hoax after receiving several inquiring phone calls to its news bureau and admissions office last week. The release stated that the Olsen twins have not applied nor been accepted to the campus.

Junior Kristin Sieg heard the rumor last week from a friend, who, of course, heard it from another friend.

Sieg said she believed the rumor “slightly, perhaps, but it just seemed so odd they would come here of all places.”

With all of the teen-age celebrities in America, Sieg said she wondered, “Why them of all people?”

The hoax is “all over the country,” said Michael Pagnotta, a spokesman for the Olsens.

“In a way, it’s flattering so many people want to believe (the twins) will be going to their school,” Pagnotta said. “But at the end of the day, none of the reports are true.”

Sophomore Uriah Giordana said he heard of the rumor from a friend while exchanging online messages. The more he started receiving similar messages from other friends the sooner he realized it probably wasn’t true.

“It was fun to believe in for a little while,” Giordana said.

Kris Anderson, the university’s new director of admissions, said that her staff generally knew the rumor was false.

“There was no validity to this,” Anderson said, while noting that the admissions staff still checked it out just to be sure.

“It looked like something that would come from The Onion,” Anderson said, referencing the national parody newspaper.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.