Klenz opposes new Davies plan; his focus is on educating

Even on a day when horrific budget cuts to the UW System were announced, Student Senate presidential candidate Adrian Klenz remains upbeat.

He leans forward in his seat, talking animatedly, exuding energy.

“I think the most important issue on campus is the need to energize students on the issues we face,” said Klenz, 28, a senior.

His running mate sophomore Kate Demerse, 19, will serve along with him as “watchdogs” for the student body, he said.

Keeping in touch with students is another major issue Klenz plans to address during the Senate elections.

“Right now, we are in office after receiving about 10 percent of the vote. I think that is wrong,” he said. “We need to get students excited about these issues.”

The Davies expansion is developing into one of these issues.

He said he opposes a new student center, for now. Eventually, Klenz said, students will need a new center, but UW-Eau Claire should “maintain (Davies) for now.”

Demerse said she does not want to make any concrete plans for a new center. She doesn’t want students voting on a plan they have only had a short time to examine.

Klenz also said he wants to assure students are educated on upcoming issues.

“The answer isn’t to be viewed as naive, but contributing to solutions,” he said.

“Many people say this is an apathetic campus and (Kate and I) don’t believe that,” Klenz said. “We feel that we must do a better job as campus leaders to help educate the students on the issues that pertain to them.”

Previously a senator in 1995, Klenz was in the Student Life and Diversity Commission along with being a member of the Women’s Affairs Committee.

He was elected again last year as an off-campus senator and was appointed public relations director. Klenz currently is serving on the Senate Finance Commission and is a member of its Disabilities Committee.

Klenz, 28, is a non-traditional student, having attended UW-Eau Claire at two different periods of time.

“It has offered me a unique perspective,” he said. “Being the PR director, I have worked on almost every issue that Senate has faced.”

As for goals in the future, Klenz said the university needs to maintain its reputation for excellence. “We want to ensure that students have the best educational opportunities available,” he said.