Is the draft needed?

In an attempt to slow a possible war with Iraq, one senator supports reviving an idea abandoned since 1973.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, is calling for reinstitution of the military draft in the name of “shared sacrifice.”

Guys would sign up in the event of a national tragedy, said Nathan Pforr, a 20-year old sophomore.

But until such a tragedy occurs, his views are clear.

“I don’t think there should be a draft,” he said.

Sophomore Nate Matteson, 19, whose brother leaves Thursday for Iraq, said he does not see the issue so clearly.

With all the privileges Americans enjoy, “people can’t complain too much … about living in the state we do,” he said.

At the same time, he said people “can’t protest” against involvement in a more heated conflict.

New changes to the Selective Service System policy since Vietnam would affect college students more quickly than ever before.

Seniors would be allowed to finish the academic year, but other students would leave at the end of the semester, according to the SSS.

Even now, the Pentagon and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said a draft is not needed.

Current regulations from the SSS require males to register within 30 days after their 18th birthday.

Although required to register, it is unlikely that they will be called upon to serve, according to the SSS.

The first to be called up in a draft would be 20-year-olds by a random lottery system. The system would then move from 21- to 25-year-old males.

That aspect of the draft may be changing.

A lawsuit filed Jan. 9 by five Massachusetts students accuses the SSS draft requirements amounting to gender discrimination.

Rangel’s proposal is considered likely to fall short of approval.

– The Associated Press contributed to this story.