Athletics receives boost

Aaron Vehling

Athletics got a push from Student Senate on Monday as the campus government passed its organized activities budget for 2003-04.

Senate retained $75,000 for an athletics/recreation facilities improvements fund — which possibly could go toward funding an on-campus stadium — by voting down an amendment to move it to a special reserve.

It also approved athletics’ request for $34,000 in funding to allow all Eau Claire students to attend home sporting events for free.

In all, Senate allocated about $2.3 million in student segregated fees to 20 different campus organizations.

Senate also passed a resolution to establish an ad hoc football facilities committee to consider plans for improving playing field conditions for the football team.

The committee will consist of four students and four representatives from various departments, Vice Chancellor Andy Soll said. A Senate amendment mandated that the group begin meeting by March 14, the day before spring break.

Although there is no exact time frame for the committee, its work should be completed by fall, Soll said. Possibilities for football facilities include resurfacing Carson Park at an estimated cost of at least $700,000.

In addition, the committee will consider a new stadium, possibly one on campus in the Simpson Field area. The total cost of such a project could run up to $8 million to $9 million for construction and other costs, Soll said.

Sophomore football player David Boberg said he doesn’t think a new stadium is necessary.

But Boberg said he likes the idea of a new playing surface at Carson Park, as do most of his teammates.

“I think most of us want new turf, first and foremost,” he said.

The Senate meeting lasted more than four hours as members debated several amendments to budget allocations.

This included the allocation for the campus student radio station WUEC, despite a proposed amendment that would have given the station its full initial $35,000 request.

Although WUEC neither appealed its original allocation of $20,510 nor sent representatives to the Monday night meeting, Otto proposed an amendment that would have granted the full allocation.

“I’m very proud of WUEC,” Otto said. “I think there needs to be more student control over it.”

After an half-hour debate, Senate unanimously voted down the amendment, maintaining the station’s allocation. Yet, Otto said he was glad he brought up the issue, if only to call Senate’s attention to it for future consideration.

A year ago, WUEC asked for $30,000 but received nothing.

______________________________________________________________
Interested in writing for The Spectator? Attend a meeting at 6 p.m. Monday in Hibbard 108 to learn more about the exciting opportunities we have to offer!