Application deadline approaching

Check out CIE’s website

Something almost all college students can relate to is the experience of going through an interview. Having the ability to make a good impression while still answering the questions honestly is definitely a learned task.

Junior Angela Macke has found her study abroad experience to consistently ease the atmosphere of an interview.

“Interviewers are always impressed by it,” said Macke, referring to her semester in Harlaxton, England. “It’s great for getting conversations going with people you don’t know so well.”

For anyone wishing to study abroad next spring semester, the Harlaxton study abroad program, along with Lismore, Australia and Edinburgh, Scotland, have a March 1 application deadline date, according to the office of the Center for International Education.

“These programs have a deadline date a month earlier than the rest because there is a limit to the number of students we can send,” said Karen Rothbauer, program assistant in the International Education department. “These three programs are the most popular ones.”

The deadline for the remaining programs offered in spring 2004 is April 1, according to the CIE.

Fall, spring, yearlong, winterim or summer programs are available through UW-Eau Claire, according to the CIE.

The application process for studying abroad is nothing too complicated, Macke said.

“You answer some basic information about yourself and tell them why you want to study abroad,” she said. “If you’re intimidated at all (by the application process), don’t be. The experiences you’ll end up with far outweigh having to do a little paperwork.”

An application can be downloaded from the Internet. In addition to the completed application, you will need an official transcript and the $30 application fee.

“We review the applications after the deadline date,” Rothbauer said, “and then rank the applicants.” Once the number of available spaces fills up within Eau Claire’s programs, other universities may have open spaces for Eau Claire to fill as well, Rothbauer said.

“We also create a waiting list,” she added.

Once you have been notified of acceptance, you will be required to secure your spot with a $150, non-refundable deposit within three months of notification, according to CIE. This payment will go toward the total program cost.

Credits earned on an Eau Claire program are considered resident credit, so all credits count toward graduation. Most financial aid applies to the programs, according to the CIE.

Applications can be requested via e-mail at [email protected].