Women in Black protest silently

For more information, check out Women in Black or e-mail Rita Webb at[email protected].

A single-file line of women dressed from head to toe in black, standing in silence, puzzled junior Maggie Layden.

When she got closer, she saw white signs hanging from their neck, with phrases such as, “Silent vigil for peace, because war is too awful for words.”

This group of women is known as the Women In Black, a network of women worldwide that stand in silent vigil to protest war, human rights abuses and the continued use of violence, according to their mission statement.

Adult Opportunity Adviser Rita Webb started Eau Claire’s branch in mid-November. She read about the Women In Black network and e-mailed other women concerned about the possible war with Iraq. When 25 women responded, Webb knew she had touched a nerve in people.

“An outlet was needed for women who witness this buildup with Iraq and want to stand up and say that war is not the answer,” Webb said.

Her network now includes 60 to 70 names, and more are added daily. On average, 20 to 24 women attend vigils held on the first and third Saturdays and second and fourth Tuesdays of each month.

The women stand shoulder-to-shoulder in silence for one hour. During this time, they reflect upon themselves and those who have been victimized.

The color black symbolizes sorrow for victims of war, for the destruction of families, nature and the fabric of life, according to the mission statement.

Layden said these women had an immediate impact on her.

“The black hit me the most,” she said. “It represents the tragedy of war.”

Webb attributes the large cross section of women involved — high school girls to 75-year-old women — to the passive nature of the protests.

“We publicly convey our message with our presence,” she said. “We don’t scream, yell with disagreement. We just stand.”

Webb said she is prepared to hold vigils until there is an immediate end to the current hostilities concerning the United States and Iraq. If a war materializes, vigils will be held more often.

Women in Black vigils started in Israel in 1988 and have spread to countries including Italy, Germany, England, Azerbaijan, Columbia and Yugoslavia.

Women in Black was nominated for the Noble Peace Prize and received the Millennium Peace Prize in 2001 in recognition of the power of women’s grassroots groups to initiate global change, according to their Web site.

Eau Claire’s branch holds vigils from noon to 1:00 p.m. the first and third Saturdays at State Street and Lexington, and the second and fourth Tuesdays at First Avenue and Water Street, near Haas Fine Arts.