University briefs: Art professor awarded $10,000 grant for work

Sangram Majumdar, assistant professor of art at UW-Eau Claire, was recently awarded a $10,000 Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant.

Founded in 1955 and headquartered in Montreal, Canada, The Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation strives to promote an appreciation of the traditional expression of representational or figurative art in painting, drawing, sculpture and the graphic arts by aiding artists working in these areas in the early stages of their careers. Out of approximately 6,000 applicants, 50-55 individuals receive this grant each year.

Majumdar sent slides of six of his paintings in October and was notified in December that he would receive the grant.

With a show coming up in March at Arkansas’ Lyon College and a larger show scheduled in 2004, Majumdar says the grant will be a great help in allowing him to continue his own work outside the classroom. He expects that much of it will be used for purchasing studio materials.

“Typically, I work on multiple pieces simultaneously, and my paintings may take anywhere from three days to several months to complete, depending on the size and the subject,” Majumdar said.