Lopez goes to UCLA

UW-Eau Claire’s top admissions officer will rejoin a former coaching partner at the University of California-Los Angeles to take a lead administrative position with the football program.

Robert Lopez, the executive director of enrollment services and director of admissions, will join Karl Dorrell to oversee the administrative side of the football program. The pair worked together in 1990-91 at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. Dorrell served as the football team’s offensive coordinator and Lopez served as recruiting coordinator.

Lopez also spent 14 years coaching football at the high school, junior college and college levels.

“Coaching was something I got away from for a while, but I always liked to do it,” Lopez said. “It runs through my blood.”

Lopez said he will serve as the head coach’s “right hand man.” This includes coordinating travel arrangements for the football team and arranging tutors for the athletes, among other things.

He said his decision to transfer was hasty but a necessary one because of his respect for Dorrell and the prestige of the university.

“Dorrell and I have talked about working together again,” Lopez said. “This is a great opportunity. I hope to be at UCLA for a long time, possibly forever.”

In Lopez’s absence, Kristina Anderson will serve as interim director of admissions effective Jan. 26. She will serve until a new director is selected.

Anderson was appointed as UW-Eau Claire’s associate director of admissions in fall 2001. She has over 10 years of experience in university admissions. Her previous experience includes assistant director of admissions at UW-Superior and admissions counselor at UW-River Falls.

Anderson worked closely with Lopez for 15 months.

“His decision to leave is bittersweet,” Anderson said. “We hate to lose him. He was a great boss and director. But this is a dream job for him, a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Currently Anderson’s main priority is recruiting and admitting students for fall 2003.

“I hope to keep us moving forward to get the best class possible,” Anderson said.