Former music professor shared his talent until death

Schofield Hall’s flag flew at half-staff Jan. 3 in honor of a professor who died during winter break.

Donald S. George, 72, a retired music professor, died Dec. 31, 2002, at Syverson Lutheran Home in Eau Claire after struggling with Alzheimer’s

“It was a blessing,” Edith George, his wife of 47 years, said. “It was a struggle for seven years for him.”

She said her husband was a “kind, gentle, talented, spiritual man.”

George taught the clarinet and conducted music until retiring in 1995.

According to his wife, George wished to stay active in three ways after his retirement: help among the Syverson Home, remain involved in spiritual activities and keep playing his clarinet.

He was able to accomplish all three by volunteering in worship services at the Syverson home.

Lee Anna Rasar, a UW-Eau Claire music therapy professor first met George when she was locked out of her office her first day on campus.

Since then, she spent many days with George, giving her time to the Syverson Home.

She best remembers him by saying “how much he enjoyed spending time with people.”

She said George volunteered at Syverson Lutheran Home long before Alzheimer’s caused him to live there.

He began volunteering by walking room to room, playing his clarinet.

When he could no longer drive himself, neighbors drove him to the home.

Even when he could no longer carry on conversations or assemble his own instrument, he continued volunteering, playing and singing.

For more than 20 years, the Georges served as foster parents. Edith George said over 50 newborns have found shelter through their home. She continues to serve as a foster parent.

Before Donald George’s arrival at UW-Eau Claire, he served in the U.S. Air Force and played solo clarinet for the Air Force Band from 1951 to 1953.

Joining the music faculty in 1968, George witnessed UW-Eau Claire’s band program expand to over 250 students throughout the years.

He helped create the Chippewa Valley Concert Band, which Rasar describes as “his baby.” He oversaw the band during his retirement.

Edith George said she couldn’t name her husbands’ greatest achievement because he was always moving on towards new goals.

View Comments (1)