Sen. Feingold speaks tonight in Schofield

U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold will speak at UW-Eau Claire Thursday night in remembrance of a day dedicated to honoring the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the founding of Amnesty International.

His Human Rights Day forum lecture, “The Importance of Human Rights Since September 11,” will begin at 7 p.m. in Schofield Auditorium.

Senior Trever Hagen, president of the university’s chapter of Amnesty International, said the United States saw many human rights abuses against Arab Americans, Muslim Americans and others since Sept. 11. He expects to hear Feingold discuss the limitations countries have on human rights in the name of fighting terrorism.

“Students must realize the extent of human rights abuses that have occurred throughout the world after Sept. 11 as a result of anti-terrorist campaigns,” Hagen said. “These campaigns often sacrifice essential civil liberties and human rights.”

Feingold is known for having a strong voice for human rights. Recently, he joined several senators in introducing the Clean Diamonds Act to ensure that America is not participating in the trade of diamonds sold to finance-armed conflicts.

He also is a co-sponsor of legislation that would prohibit the importation of goods from Burma until that country makes progress in reversing its violations of human rights.

“For students to have an opportunity to meet the senator will be a real privilege for them,” said Rita Webb, Amnesty International adviser.

Amnesty International is hosting Feingold’s lecture, which will be accompanied by a speech from Peter Dross of Minneapolis.

His lecture will discuss the trials and tribulations of refugees in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Dross will represent the Center for Victims of Torture.

Webb said she is hoping for a large turnout at the event and for students to take a look at what Amnesty International is about. Feingold will be speaking with the same views of the group.

“(Amnesty International) really helps students to appreciate what we have in America and the benefits that democracy brings,” she said.

Hagen also is looking forward to the senator speaking on the same side of issues as Amnesty International.

“It is in our own best interest to recognize human rights in order to progress as societies, communities and cultures,” Hagen said. “By having human rights at the center of governmental policies, economic development, globalization or individual interactions, quality of life may improve drastically.”