Veterans club plans program

Veterans’ Day became a national holiday in 1954, after President Eisenhower signed a bill setting aside a day for Americans to honor those who had served in the Armed Forces.

Tonight, a student organization will host a program in honor of Veterans’ Day, including speaking appearances by three veterans.

The UW-Eau Claire Veterans’ Club will hold the program in Schofield Auditorium. In addition to the speakers, there will be a trumpet player and a color guard. The program will begin at 7:30 p.m., is free and open to the public.

Sophomore Nate Davidson, president of the Veterans’ Club, said he hopes the program gives people an idea of why the holiday is important.

“People should get the impression that the military was totally different back then,” Davidson said. “It’s good to know what has been done in the past.

“Even when you leave the military, you’re always a veteran.”

Speaking at the program will be James Tubbs, an associate professor of political science who was a field medic during the Vietnam War; Clifton Sorenson, the County of Eau Claire Veterans Service Officer; and Larry Podwys, the Altoona VFW Commander.

Senior Mindy Sage, vice president of the Veterans’ Club, said Bruce Fredrickson, who was a chaplain during the Vietnam War, will open the program with a prayer.

Sage said the program is something the Veterans’ Club does every year, and it is the event that takes up most of the organization’s time.

“We started planning this in May,” she said. “We’ve been working on it this whole time.”

Aside from this program, the Veterans’ Club is also involved with fund raising for Homecoming, Sage said. This year the club sponsored a car-smashing event during Homecoming.

Sophomore Nathan Reschke, treasurer of the Veterans’ Club, said the organization is made up of student veterans, students who are either in the military or who have already served. He said a student doesn’t have to be a veteran to join the organization.

The club also participates in intramural softball and volleyball and regularly holds its meetings at the American Legion, during which club members often share very personal stories about their time in the service.

But Sage said she hopes the program can help people understand veterans better.

“We want to help people gain an understanding of past veterans,” she said. “Hopefully, people can get a better appreciation for what they’ve done.”