Dancing to the swing of fall

submitted photo

Halloween is not the only day of the year when hiding behind a mask is acceptable. The second annual All Hall Fall Ball Friday gives students the opportunity to dress in costume one more time.

The ball is a semi-formal to formal masquerade ball at the Holiday Inn Convention Center, 205 S. Barstow.

Mask-making is one unique characteristic of the event, said Bridgman Hall Director Jennifer Lee. There is a mask-making workshop tonight and at the dance.

“People got out their old prom gowns they thought they’d never wear again, but they could for this ball,” Lee said.

Sophomore Ellie Hurd said she enjoys the ball for many reasons, including the mystery of meeting members of the opposite sex in disguise.

“I like the idea of wearing masks because people always joke about finding your mate behind a mask,” she said.

Senior Jonathan Stone said he was surprised to see how many people had fun with the masks.

“The mask making was really well-received,” he said. “People had a lot of fun, even a lot of people I didn’t expect to enjoy mask making. People just got really creative.”

Junior Erin Flehmer agreed that students get creative with their masks.

“My friend wore a mask of Chancellor Mash last year,” she said.

The dance is hosted by Bridgman Hall, and all students are invited.

“We do all the planning for the event,” Flehmer said. “But we want everyone to come.”

The amount of semi-formal to formal dances that happen on this campus are limited, she said, so the All Hall Fall Ball increases the opportunities for students.

“We don’t have any dances other than V-Ball (Viennese Ball),” she said, “so people in residence halls get a good chance to hang out and dance and have a good time.”

A good number of men went last year, which was surprising to one of Lee’s friends.

“My friend said she’d never seen an event where so many men were present and there wasn’t a ball to play with,” Lee said.

The dance also gives students a chance to get to know dorm neighbors and friends better, Lee said.

“Last year a whole wing, about 40 girls and guys, went out to dinner beforehand,” she said.

Hurd said both the music and dressing up were her favorite parts of the event.

“It was fun to go and just dance because they had a really good variety of music and it’s really fun to dress up and get all pretty,” she said.

Flehmer said students don’t have to dress up if they don’t want to.

“It’s semi-formal, or you can dress down too” she said. “Either way it’s fun.”

Last year, more than 250 people attended, and the Bridgman staff is hoping to attract as many people as they can this year, Lee said.

“I hope a lot of people come,” Lee said. “Because it was a great time and I expect people to have a great time again.”