BREAKING NEWS: Student hospitalized with meningitis

A Sutherland Hall resident has been hospitalized with bacterial meningococcal disease.

Freshman Adam Griggel, 19, was diagnosed with the disease after arriving Sunday night at Sacred Heart Hospital, 900 W. Clairemont Ave.

Griggel was in stable condition at 6 p.m. Tuesday night, a hospital spokesperson said.

Health Services has the antibiotic Cipro available for students who have been in close contact with Griggel. They also routinely offer a vaccine for the disease.

Meningococcal disease is caused by bacterium spread by intimate contact with another’s saliva or respiratory secretion. It can be spread by sharing drinks, cigarettes or kissing, Health Services stated.

This is not an outbreak, said Jim Ryder, director of Eau Claire City-County Health Department.

Seven cases have been reported in Eau Claire County since January, Ryder said.

Every case that has been investigated so far is unrelated.

Griggel’s test results were unavailable on Tuesday, he said.

“Freshmen in the dorms are at a statistically higher risk for contracting the disease,” Ryder said.

For the full story on this case and meningitis in Eau Claire, read Thursday’s Spectator.