Low turnout at peace rally

Students, residents of Eau Claire and faculty members gathered by the clock in Campus Mall Wednesday for the pro-peace rally to end the possibility of a war with Iraq.

About 60 people gathered in the light rain to speak on recent statements made by politicians regarding aggressive action that may be taken against Iraq and its dictator, Saddam Hussein.

“Where are the students?” sophomore Renata Sinn asked.

Sinn and other anti-war activists said they were disappointed with the low student turnout at the rally.

She said the level of attendance is a function of the NIMBY (not-in-my-backyard) attitiude.

Aaron Ellringer, an Eau Claire resident, helped organize the event and spoke at the rally, while holding his infant daughter, Alice. Ellringer said the turnout was low, but it was a good start.

“How many people went to the pro-war rally?” he said.

People took their turns stepping up to a microphone and sharing their thoughts about war and why the United States should not invade Iraq. Most who spoke said President Bush should be impeached or resign for his actions and comments.

The crowd was given signs to hold during the rally and carry during the brief march, which took place after speakers finished.

Some of the anti-war slogans on the signs were: “Bombs make children cry,” “Drop Bush not bombs” and “Terror is as terror does.”

The march following the rally went down from Campus Mall to State Street and then down a section of Water Street and back to the campus via the footbridge.