Fall Cardio Classic encourages exercise

Molly Tumanic

Love it or hate it, exercise is a part of life. Some consider their workout to be the daily trek to class. Others prefer spending hours in Crest Wellness Center or McPhee running on treadmills or lifting weights.

The University Recreation Department and Health Service Center invites students and faculty to rev-up their ambition and compete in the first campus-wide Fall Cardio Classic.

“This event is designed to get people motivated to exercise,” said Joe Kosman, coordinator and intern for University Recreation.

Teams of five compete to log the most minutes spent in cardiovascular activity. Each team’s minutes are converted into points.

The team with the most points at the end of the five-week competition wins recreation champion T-shirts, Kosman said.

Two divisions compete, one for faculty and staff, the other for students. The divisions do not compete against one another.

Faculty and staff team members must be from the same department. The teams can be co-ed and can have a maximum of one varsity athlete.

Each participant must complete a minimum 15 minutes of continuous exercise per week, said senior Andy Brehm, a Peer Health Educator in charge of totaling each team’s minutes.

“Walking up the hill won’t count,” Brehm said. “You have to give it a legitimate attempt. What will count ranges from a simple run in the morning to four hours of basketball in the evening.”

There is an entry fee of $10 per team. A captain is responsible for submitting the team’s cumulative point total each week. The competition begins Sunday and runs through Nov. 9.

Those interested in participating in the Cardio Classic can register at the Recreation desk in Hilltop Center or contact Andy Brehm at [email protected] for more information.