Fall break frees Friday

It’s highly probable that students experienced a sense of shock when perusing the academic calendar for this semester.

Fall semester typically has fewer days off than the spring semester, but this year will offer students more time off from academics than just Thanksgiving recess.

University Senate designated Friday as a “fall break,” giving students and faculty much needed rest, said Senate Vice Chair Andrea Gapko.

Another reason for choosing Friday, she said, was to help students curb homesickness, which can be prevalent around this time.

“The Dean of Students” office has information on homesickness among freshmen,” Gapko said, “which occurs for many about the fifth or sixth week of the fall semester.”

Student sentiment surrounding fall break is mixed.

Sophomore Chad Roehl expressed delight in having a day off, but is concerned that the break may not be long enough.

“I think it’s pointless that we have only one day off,” he said. “I’m not complaining, but why not have two days and make it worth it?”

Another student, junior John Riederer, was unaware of the existence of the break.

“We have a fall break?” he asked.

University Senate, which is responsible for curricular matters such as breaks, made the decision last year to have a fall break.

In addition to fitting in with the timing of homesickness, the date was chosen because it didn’t conflict with Homecoming dates and various Fridays when high school students typically visit the campus, said Senate Chair Susan Harrison.

University Senate didn’t arrive at the decision to have fall break easily. Some members were concerned that the day off would give students just another opportunity to party.

Others noted that fall break is a common occurrence at other campuses around the state and that it should be taken seriously, according to minutes from a December 2000 meeting of the Senate.

Though it has been scheduled for this academic year, fall break won’t likely be an annual occurrence, Harrison said.

“I wouldn’t get too concerned about fall break,” Harrison said. “Each year the University Senate approves the calendar for a future year. I suspect that fall break probably won’t be included forever.”