Student Senate opposes keg ordinance

A proposed city ordinance to regulate the number of kegs that people can purchase received unanimous disapproval from Student Senate on Monday.

Debate over opposition to the proposed keg ordinance and the concern that the ordinance would target students dominated the discussion.

According to the resolution, “Student Senate feels that the city of Eau Claire sends a clear message to students through negative ordinances – reflecting that students cannot make wise decisions.”

Senate Vice President Matt Flaten said the ordinance is another excuse for police to prevent parties and enforce inflated fines.

The city of Eau Claire has a history of passing this type of legislation during the summer months when students are out of town, he said.

Student Senate members agreed with views expressed at the Eau Claire City Council meeting in March, warning of the dangers that result from keg parties, including drunk driving, noise and health risks.

Some senators acknowledged the significant loss of business that local liquor store owners would suffer as a result of one of the many loopholes surrounding the ordinance.

According to the resolution, one such loophole is that kegs can be purchased in neighboring towns, or beer could be bought in cans or bottles as an alternative to kegs.

Student Senate agreed that the ordinance would also negatively affect community members who plan such social functions as weddings or graduation parties.

In addition to debating the keg ordinance, senate also debated the change in food vendors on lower campus.

The replacement of Chartwells by Sodexho Campus Services, which has a noted history of human rights abuses, was challenged at the senate meeting by representatives of Campus Greens and Amnesty International.

Junior Richard “Louie” Lewan, president of Campus Greens, said he was upset students’ opinions had not been heard.

“We feel the students’ voice has been shut down, and the contract needs further consideration,” he said.

Student Services Commission Director Nate Keiser expressed his concern with the timing of the uprising against Sodhexo.

“It’s too late in the game for them (the students) to challenge and voice their opinions now,” Keiser said. “They had their forum and chose not to participate.”

Student Senate also passed a resolution showing support for a new Saturday bus stop for the Eau Claire city transit system, located at Super Target, 4850 Golf Road

The recommendation to stop at Target instead of London Square Mall, 2923 Mall Drive came as a result of students rarely using the London Square stop.