Mock meeting goes global

Ben Smidt

The “Spanish for Business” class presented its combined skills of Spanish and business in a mock business meeting conducted in Spanish Monday evening in Hibbard 100.

Students presented their final activity of the class – the annual shareholder’s meeting – detailing their make-believe product called Cerveza Mundial.

Cerveza Mundial, meaning “world beer,” was the product chosen by the students. With the help of Mary Iribarren, assistant professor of foreign languages, the class organized themselves into different departments that were responsible for reporting different aspects of the business, Iribarren said.

The department of sales, department of finance and department of production were just a few of the departments of the company. Each department presented its information in Spanish and then proceeded to translate in English.

“The class did absolutely wonderful and so much better than I had imagined,” said junior Stephanie Landon, who helped coordinate the meeting. “I was impressed by everyone’s ability to brainstorm and work together to make this presentation a success.”

The “Spanish for Business” class took a new approach this semester with the help of Iribarren. The class now serves as the first step toward the new Spanish With Emphasis on Business and the Professions major that will officially be offered in the fall of 2002.

About 12 students already are enrolled in Spanish With an Emphasis on Business as a major. It will appear in the 2002-2003 catalogue.

Iribarren said she felt it was an essential major for the changing world, which includes more than 21 countries declaring Spanish as their official language. Spanish is the third most-spoken language and is used all around the world. The major is very important because there is a huge demand for bilingual speakers in all major cities, and the business emphasis gives Eau Claire students an edge, Landon said.

Spanish 409, The Craft of Translation, and Spanish 440, Spanish Business Writing, will most likely be offered in the fall for students pursuing a major in Spanish with a business emphasis, Iribarren said.

The courses required for the major are designed to be practical and will help students gain the proficiency in a foreign language that will help them with future jobs, as stated on the syllabus of Spanish 340. It also say the courses “fulfill the necessity of cross-cultural communication in a global marketplace.”