Latin American Studies club formed

Junior Sara O’Brien is majoring in Spanish with a minor in Latin American Studies. After studying in Spain during the spring of 2001, she looks for an opportunity to have a similar experience in a country in Latin America.

The Latin American Studies major and minor both include study abroad sessions in Latin American countries, O’Brien said. “After becoming a LAS minor, I began looking for an outlet to acquire information about Mexico but found there wasn’t a club for the LAS program.”

O’Brien attended a meeting with many other enthusiastic professors and students who were excited about beginning a club to promote LAS on campus.

The Latin American Studies club will be a way for professors and students to discuss the latest Latin American issues and speak Spanish outside of the classroom. It is a great way to learn about study abroad and to incorporate what students have learned or would like to learn about Latin America, said junior Mara Glantz, LAS minor and co-founder of the club.

The group will hold meetings every two weeks and it will cost $5 a semester to join. During the meetings, the group will discuss ways to be involved in activities and events on campus as well as in the community, O’Brien said.

“We would like to be recognized as a club because just about every other major has a club to be able to come together with their fellow students,” Glantz said. “There is Spanish club, psych. club, but up until now there has not been a LAS club.”

The LAS club hopes to promote the LAS minor and help students with their Spanish, said freshman Sarah Bolstad, director of the Organizations Commission for Student Senate.

Bolstad said the organization is different because it serves more than one purpose by catering to both LAS minors and those interested in Latin America. She said more people need to be aware of the LAS minor, which this club is specific to.

Not all meetings will be conducted in Spanish, but speaking enriches our knowledge of the language, and it is very good practice to speak informally outside of the classroom, Glantz said.

For students who would like to learn more about Latin America or to practice their Spanish skills, the club is looking for ideas and suggestions.

Anyone who is interested in receiving more information about the LAS club should contact O’Brien at 831-0569 or at [email protected], or associate professor of foreign languages Eva Santos-Phillips at [email protected].