Homecoming parade to stay on Water St.

The Homecoming Parade will remain on Water Street.

In February, some plans were made to re-route the parade toward the downtown area.

The alternate route would start at Owen Park along First Avenue, but instead of heading to Water Street, would go north to Lake Street.

This alternate route was conceptualized due to some Water Street business owners’ complaints about crowds, litter, vandalism and loss of business during Homecoming.

Pat Lokken, owner of Tru-lock and Security Inc, 429 Water St., and a member of the Water Street Merchants Association, said she thinks the parade belongs on Water Street.

“I’ve always thought that having the parade on Water Street was a good idea,” Lokken said.

Some business owners may even profit from the extra business brought to the area by the parade, she said, adding that her business does not gain or lose business due to the parade.

The alternate route was a suggestion by business owners and the Homecoming committee but was never finalized, said Paula Stuettgen, Homecoming Committee adviser.

“There was never any new permits requested or anything like that,” Stuettgen said. “The whole thing was still in the discussion stage.”

Both Stuettgen and Lokken agreed that communication and the school would be key to keeping the parade on Water Street.

“Everyone needs to take responsibility,” Lokken said. “For the most part, I think we want to keep the parade on Water Street.”