GEs change at Senate meeting

In the last session of this year’s University Senate, the last three motions of the General Education Program revisions were passed on Tuesday.

In the meeting, motion two created a GE category V entitled “University Wide General Education.”

The new category offers courses that cross GE categories and courses offered by the College of Professional Studies and College of Business (except courses with the IDIS prefix), as stated in the motion.

Students will be allowed to take up to six credits from this category.

Motion three established a University-Wide GE Committee, which will develop criteria for GE courses and approve them for inclusion in the GE Program, as stated in the motion.

The committee will consist of six faculty members from the College of Arts and Sciences, two from the College of Business, one from each of the three Schools in the College of Professional Studies and one student with at least junior standing, said University Senate Chair Susan Harrison.

While Student Senate supported motion three, their proposal was to have four student representatives on the committee. But with one student representative, Student Senate Academic Affairs Commission Director Craig Smith said it was an acceptable compromise.

However, Smith was upset with comments made about student representation on the committee, as he said those particular senators do not understand the concept of shared governance.

University Senator Michael Wick, associate professor of computer science, said they should find who can best serve on the committee.

“(The committee) should be chosen on who best understands the GE requirements,” he said.

Also passing was motion four which states that all departments, schools and colleges will review and revise their GE requirements to adhere to the recommendations concerning simplifying the three existing GE categories (II-IV) and reducing the number of upper division credits.

Wrapping up the revisions of the GE Program was motion five, which will evaluate the impact on course availability based on the changes made in motions one and two.

Motion one, which passed April 9, requires students to take 9-12 credits from at least two subcategories in Categories III and IV. Motion two created Category V.

A motion was passed to have the Academic Policies Committee, along with the newly created University-Wide GE Committee, review the five motions after five years from the implementation date.

The five new motions which revised the GE Program will be effective with the 2003-04 catalogue.